If you’ve ever wished you could get paid for a quiet day doing household chores, you’re not alone. While many of us would love to get paid to stay home and tidy while listening to podcasts, we can’t. That is, we can’t if we don’t get housekeeper jobs.
These positions can be a satisfying and laid-back way to make a living. This leaves you room to pursue other interests or look after your kids. Is housekeeping jobs on ZipRecruiter right for you?
What Are Housekeeper Jobs?
If you browse through ZipRecruiter, you’ll generally find two types of housekeeper jobs:
- Hospitality – Hospitality workers are those available at hotels, resorts, and other places where people stay overnight as guests.
- Private Housekeeper – Housekeepers for private residences have more autonomy but also often more responsibilities.
If you look for housekeeper jobs on ZipRecruiter, you’ll stand a better chance of finding one that’s the best fit for you. Creating a profile on ZipRecruiter allows you to search the platform’s database for housekeeper jobs. ZipRecruiter will also use AI technology to scan your resume for your skills and experience. Then, it will send your profile to employers looking for people like you.
If an employer invites you to apply, you should consider it. After all, those who apply are 3 times more likely to get the job!
Housekeeper Jobs: Duties and Responsibilities
A housekeeper will:
- Keep rooms and bathrooms clean
- Change and make beds
- Change laundry
- Ensure rooms have everything they need
- Replace used products
A private housekeeper may also:
- Prepare meals
- Do laundry
- Sometimes some nanny duties are included, such as driving kids to and from school.
- You may manage other staff, such as a nanny or gardener
- You may have some personal assistant duties, such as making appointments
Housekeeping jobs often have flexible hours so that you can find part-time and full-time roles. Housekeeper jobs in hospitality are usually mornings only, working over all days of the week (those days can be fixed, flexible, or on a rotating schedule).
Private housekeeping jobs have a huge range of hours and commitments available. They can be very full-time, where you live on the property, or very flexible, where you do a handful of hours a few times a week.
Whether or not there is an excellent opportunity for career progression as a housekeeper will depend on your ambitions and your employer. This is a good option if you’re looking for a job where you can turn up, do your hours, and go away to get on with your life.
If you want your housekeeping position to be your first rung up the hospitality ladder, make sure you work for a large company. That way, there are plenty of positions you can get promoted to. If you want, you can make it clear that you’re looking for more responsibility or to move into another role in the future.
Pay will vary depending on where in the country you’re working and how many hours you decide to work, but most jobs are advertised within the $25,000 – $55,000 range.
What Kind of Person Best Suits Housekeeper Jobs?
Most employers on ZipRecruiter with housekeeper openings are looking for someone who fits the following criteria:
- Good time management skills
- Ability to work alone and as part of a team
- Flexible schedule (you may have fixed hours, but sometimes, housekeepers work unconventional hours)
- Good cleaning skills
You’ll enjoy working in housekeeper jobs if:
- You’re looking for an active but laid-back job; you need to be able to move quickly, especially if you work in a large resort or for a large chain (smaller hotels may move at a slower pace). However, you’ll be largely left to work autonomously.
- You enjoy doing repetitive tasks that leave your brain free to think about other things.
- You like working alone.
- You want to be able to listen to music, podcasts, or audiobooks while you work.
- You like things to be “just so” and have an eye for detail.
Start Your Search on ZipRecruiter
If you think a job in housekeeping may be the right next step for you, start your search on ZipRecruiter. If you’re not quite sure if housekeeping jobs are right for you, we’ve got other resources to help you find the proper role for you.