If you’ve ever wanted to earn money while doing household chores, you’re not alone. Many people would love to get paid for staying home and tidying up while listening to podcasts. However, in order to do so, they need to find housekeeper jobs.
These positions can be a fulfilling and relaxed way to earn a living, providing flexibility to pursue other interests or take care of children. Are housekeeping jobs on ZipRecruiter right for you?
What Are Housekeeper Jobs?
If you browse through ZipRecruiter, you’ll generally find two types of housekeeper jobs:
- Hospitality – These are positions available at hotels, resorts, and other places where people stay overnight as guests.
- Private Housekeeper – Housekeepers for private residences have more autonomy but also often more responsibilities.
If you look for housekeeper jobs on ZipRecruiter, you’ll increase your chances of finding a role that best suits you. You can create a profile on ZipRecruiter to search for housekeeper jobs in the platform’s database. Additionally, ZipRecruiter uses AI technology to scan your resume for your skills and experience and then sends your profile to employers looking for candidates with your qualifications.
If an employer invites you to apply, you should seriously consider it, as applying increases your chances of getting the job by three times!
Housekeeper Jobs: Duties and Responsibilities
A housekeeper will:
- Keep rooms and bathrooms clean
- Change and make beds
- Change laundry
- Ensure rooms have everything they need
- Replace used products
A private housekeeper may also:
- Prepare meals
- Do laundry
- Sometimes perform nanny duties, such as driving kids to and from school.
- Manage other staff, such as a nanny or gardener
- Have some personal assistant duties, such as making appointments
Housekeeping jobs often offer flexible hours, allowing for both part-time and full-time roles. Housekeeper jobs in hospitality typically involve morning shifts only, working across all days of the week (which may be fixed, flexible, or on a rotating schedule).
Private housekeeping jobs offer a wide range of hours and commitments, ranging from living on the property for a very full-time role to doing a few hours a few times a week for a more flexible schedule.
The opportunity for career progression as a housekeeper will depend on your ambitions and your employer. This position is suitable if you’re seeking a job where you can work your hours and then go about your life.
If you see your housekeeping position as the first step up the hospitality ladder, consider working for a large company, as it will offer numerous opportunities for advancement. If you’re interested, you can convey your desire for more responsibility or a transition into another role in the future.
Pay will vary based on your location and working hours, but most jobs are advertised within the range of $25,000 – $55,000.
What Kind of Person Best Suits Housekeeper Jobs?
Most employers on ZipRecruiter with housekeeper openings are looking for someone who fits the following criteria:
- Good time management skills
- Ability to work alone and as part of a team
- Flexible schedule (you may have fixed hours, but sometimes, housekeepers work unconventional hours)
- Good cleaning skills
You’ll enjoy working in housekeeper jobs if:
- You’re looking for an active but laid-back job; you need to be able to move quickly, especially if you work in a large resort or for a large chain (smaller hotels may move at a slower pace). However, you’ll be largely left to work autonomously.
- You enjoy doing repetitive tasks that leave your brain free to think about other things.
- You like working alone.
- You want to be able to listen to music, podcasts, or audiobooks while you work.
- You like things to be “just so” and have an eye for detail.
Start Your Search on ZipRecruiter
If you think a job in housekeeping may be the right next step for you, start your search on ZipRecruiter. If you’re not quite sure if housekeeping jobs are right for you, we’ve got other resources to help you find the proper role for you.